33.8K views

Yesterday, we went to the OneMain Financial office in Lilburn, GA to apply for a $6500.00 loan. After spending 2 hours with a loan officer, we were approved for a $10,000.00 loan.

We told her we didn't need that much and decided on borrowing $7500.00 to pay off our car and a few other small bills and ultimately reduce our monthly expenses. The interest rate was a bit high (21.70%) along with the payment amount we were quoted ($347) which was more than our already $325 monthly car payment. At this point I was a little leary but willing to negotiate even though we had explained we wanted to keep our payment between $200 - $250. We discussed changing the term of the loan from 48 months to 60 months to lower the payment to $285, a more reasonable amount.

Since we mentioned paying off our car as one of the reasons for applying for the loan, our loan officer immediately contacted the Auto Finance company telling them that OneMain would be paying off the loan. She also contacted our insurance company to request they be named as the payee and asking for verification to be faxed to her. This before we had signed even the first document. At this point we had nothing in writing showing us their offer and nothing was explained before beginning the process of changing over our existing car loan.

After our loan officer verified all of our information, we returned to the branch this afternoon to sign the paperwork and finalize the loan. As soon as we walked in the door, our agent asked the manager to begin taking pictures of our car (since it would be collateral). WE STILL HAVEN'T SIGNED ANYTHING OR SEEN ANYTHING IN WRITING!!! We stopped them so that we could ask questions and begin to verify the information we had been given the day before (we had been taking notes) and that's when things begin to change.

We verified our interest rate and that's when I was given the actual APR percentage of 23.99%. She had made no mention of it before. We discussed their 14-day return guarantee and we told that we could bring back the check we were given without it being deposited and it would be like the loan had never happened. The manager was brought into the conversation since our agent couldn't answer when we asked what would happen to the amount that was paid to our original auto finance company and to our car title.

The manager said he didn't know since it hadn't happened before but he imagined the car company wouldn't give a refund. Our loan officer now hands us the first thing she wants signed, authorization to claim the title of our car. We asked her when she was going to print our loan papers so that we could look at everything in writing and make sure we agreed to all the terms and the payment before we began signing. She told us that she wouldn't print the paperwork until she got to that step in the process.

Again verifying the payment she quoted, we were told our total monthly payment would be $245. We were very happy. This payment would ensure that we were well able to meet the obligation. At this point, we are ready to start signing.

We were happy with the terms even though the rate was a little high and they would have the car as collateral. We were then offered loan insurance and after listening to our agent's pitch, we declined the insurance. Now the manager steps in and begins to try to sell us on the loan insurance. We explained that we felt we were well enough protected through other means (Worker's Comp, Full Coverage Car Insurance, Homeowner's Insurance, etc.).

The manager then says that 48 months is too long of a term and we make him nervous (because we were not spending $30-$50 extra per month in unnecessary insurance). He them told us that he would have to decrease our term to 36 months, increasing our monthly payment to $297. We stepped outside to discuss it privately. When we came back in to explain that we weren't going to take the loan, the tone changed.

Our loan officer was told to take care of us since our home mortgage is held by the same parent company. We sat back down and again began the process of signing the paperwork since he had now agreed to $245 for 48 months. Our agent asks us for a voided check to set up AutoPay which she had never mentioned to this point. I asked about the payment due date and was told it was due on the 3rd of every month.

We inquired about a due date near the 28th and was told by the manager that the date was not flexible and MUST be 30 days from the date of the loan signing, he went on to say that he didn't have a due date around the 28th. The website clearly states that you can choose a "convenient" due date. That's when the manager again stated we were making him really nervous. At that point, we declined the loan and left the branch.

WE feel like the manager was trying to force us into a monthly payment we couldn't afford or weren't comfortable with.

The purpose of the loan was to consolidate a few bills and end up with a lower monthly payment. We were happy with the terms of the loan before we were offered the insurance and the terms were changed when we declined.

Review about: Onemain Financial Loan.

Comments

Horrible company. High interest rates thaa make it impossible to repay your loan. Beware!!!

They are coming interest only loans and if I had known this I would have never signed. It put me in a bigger hole.

to gualm #1416543

In other words, what you are admitting to the world is you didn't have the COMMON SENSE to read the contract before you agreed to the terms and of course, that's all THEIR fault, right? Am I ever impressed!!!

to Anonymous #1474322

Even if (predatory lender) put it in the fine print AND (desperate customer) didn't read/understand it, doesn't make it any less skeevy or predatory. They and other predatory lenders do this on purpose to keep fish on their hooks.

Huntersville, North Carolina, United States #1259946

Your post was dead-on. The Charlotte,NC branches are the worst.

The employees at the Northlake branch seem inadequate when it comes to Customer Service!

Belle Vernon, Pennsylvania, United States #1242484

Hello,

I received a OneMain Offer in the mail and was considering a loan myself. I always research of course before even making a call about these offers.

Your comment was the first that I read. I heard enough. I thank you and appreciate your post.

If not for people as kind as yourself for taking the time to post these comments then consumers like myself who are more nieve than you as you sound in your review would really get hurt.

My father being elderly and having no knowledge or guidance had taken out several loans, beneficial (the worst) and his own bank and now 74 and still paying outrageous monthly payments. So I thank you sincerely,

Glasgow, Glasgow City, United Kingdom #1190304

i work under San Isidro Multi Co operation Loan Lending Company. It's a new company right here in Philippines and we have been able to broaden our scope over this few years.

we have our head office at Philippines and branch office at USA,Australia and other reserve countries. For info about our company, you can write directly to this listed email.

mrssandrathomson.es@hotmail.co.uk / official_isidrolenderparish.plc@gmx.us . Thanks for your time...

Regard

San Isidro multi co operation

Thanks. I too will have second thoughts and not go with One Main

I have a loan w/them. It's awful interest compounded daily.

I pay $258 mo., and $138 goes to interest ea mo. I'm taking a loan against my life insur @ 5% interest just to get rid of them!

I hate the day I got a loan with One Main they are beyond a pain in the back side. I had 3 years left on a loan with them was having a bit of a struggle and to lower the payments we extended the loan.

After 6 months they said oh that was only for 6 months I asked who in their right mind would extend a loan from 3 years to 10 years for only a 6 month reprieve.

My mistake but I promise I will never do business with these folks again.

South Carolina, United States #1031680

It seems like they have only one agenda, to keep us all in debt so they can make more money off of us. Thank you for saving me the time and hassle with this company.

to Anonymous #1407962

"debt so they can make more money off of us"

Welcome to the party in the USA.

You must have just landed.

Welcome.

What do you think they make high risk high interests loans for? Charity.

Do not sign up for one of these loans if:

You don't understand what your're signing You're not man or woman enough to honor your signature and pay Understand simple finance including interest.

Chicago, Illinois, United States #1027769

I was considering a loan for purchasing something that would appreciate in value, or perhaps double in value say in two years making the high interest rate irrelevant , still considering don't want to do harm to my hard improved credit or brokerage acct.

Thank you for taking the time to document your experience, you've saved me valuable time and spared me an undoubtedly predatory 'loan' -- shame on the goverment (again) for making this practice lawful

I would go to the higher ups. He doesn't get paid to be nervous around his customers - and who's making who nervous?

You threw the policy in his face and he couldn't even follow it or apologize. I'd have told him right then and there that it was the other way around and gone to the district manager.

Wow!! way too many scam offers in these comments.

If you are looking for a loan you're looking in the wrong place here. Please go to a local reputable bank or a credit union if you are seeking a loan. If they turn you down it is more than likely because your credit is not good enough yet. If you go somewhere else you are only going to make your situation worse because someone else will approve you, but at a loan shark interest rate.

The person above who wrote the review would have gotten royally screwed if they would have accepted that loan from One Main Financial. The interest rate that One Main was going to charge them was likely much higher than the interest rate they were already paying for their vehicle. They would have been paying way more for that vehicle in the long run just to save $100 per month now. I've been there in the past and learned from my financial mistakes.

My best advice to you is to stick it out, get a second job temporarily if you have to and pay off that auto loan. Get your much deserved and hard worked for, title. Don't give your title away to a loan shark.

And if no vehicle is involved, still, don't give your hard earned money away to a loan shark, period. Think it through thoroughly and think about how much more this loan will cost you down the road.

One Main Financial drove me right into Chapter 13 a few months ago.I hate them promised me a new lower payment.I am disable and they violated alot of my rights and they knew it.Got one nice low payment with the Bankruptcy Trustees and cut my losses and moved on with this.To me they will lose money now and no regrets doing it.

HOW I FINALLY GOT A LOAN

Hello, I got a loan from this lender: selsumat@gmail.com yesterday.

You all should please contact him now for help and put an end to your lender search.

Most lenders on the website are scammers and I've been scammed several times before,

until I met this man (greg matto ) from the above company .And Now I am so happy because it only took a day with him before I got the loan.

to Anonymous #991583

Be careful because there are scammers that prey on hardworking folks

and people who seem esperate.

Palmdale, California, United States #899449

holy ripoff Batman. These lenders take advantage of people with lousy credit and bury them in debt .

Banks have better deals but you have to have money in order to get the money. I love it when my bank gets robbed, seems only fair.