Atlanta, Georgia
31.8K views 178 comments

Yesterday, we went to the OneMain Financial office in Lilburn, GA to apply for a $6500.00 loan.After spending 2 hours with a loan officer, we were approved for a $10,000.00 loan.

We told her we didn't need that much and decided on borrowing $7500.00 to pay off our car and a few other small bills and ultimately reduce our monthly expenses. The interest rate was a bit high (21.70%) along with the payment amount we were quoted ($347) which was more than our already $325 monthly car payment. At this point I was a little leary but willing to negotiate even though we had explained we wanted to keep our payment between $200 - $250. We discussed changing the term of the loan from 48 months to 60 months to lower the payment to $285, a more reasonable amount.

Since we mentioned paying off our car as one of the reasons for applying for the loan, our loan officer immediately contacted the Auto Finance company telling them that OneMain would be paying off the loan. She also contacted our insurance company to request they be named as the payee and asking for verification to be faxed to her. This before we had signed even the first document. At this point we had nothing in writing showing us their offer and nothing was explained before beginning the process of changing over our existing car loan.

After our loan officer verified all of our information, we returned to the branch this afternoon to sign the paperwork and finalize the loan. As soon as we walked in the door, our agent asked the manager to begin taking pictures of our car (since it would be collateral). WE STILL HAVEN'T SIGNED ANYTHING OR SEEN ANYTHING IN WRITING!!! We stopped them so that we could ask questions and begin to verify the information we had been given the day before (we had been taking notes) and that's when things begin to change.

We verified our interest rate and that's when I was given the actual APR percentage of 23.99%. She had made no mention of it before. We discussed their 14-day return guarantee and we told that we could bring back the check we were given without it being deposited and it would be like the loan had never happened. The manager was brought into the conversation since our agent couldn't answer when we asked what would happen to the amount that was paid to our original auto finance company and to our car title.

The manager said he didn't know since it hadn't happened before but he imagined the car company wouldn't give a refund. Our loan officer now hands us the first thing she wants signed, authorization to claim the title of our car. We asked her when she was going to print our loan papers so that we could look at everything in writing and make sure we agreed to all the terms and the payment before we began signing. She told us that she wouldn't print the paperwork until she got to that step in the process.

Again verifying the payment she quoted, we were told our total monthly payment would be $245. We were very happy. This payment would ensure that we were well able to meet the obligation. At this point, we are ready to start signing.

We were happy with the terms even though the rate was a little high and they would have the car as collateral. We were then offered loan insurance and after listening to our agent's pitch, we declined the insurance. Now the manager steps in and begins to try to sell us on the loan insurance. We explained that we felt we were well enough protected through other means (Worker's Comp, Full Coverage Car Insurance, Homeowner's Insurance, etc.).

The manager then says that 48 months is too long of a term and we make him nervous (because we were not spending $30-$50 extra per month in unnecessary insurance). He them told us that he would have to decrease our term to 36 months, increasing our monthly payment to $297. We stepped outside to discuss it privately. When we came back in to explain that we weren't going to take the loan, the tone changed.

Our loan officer was told to take care of us since our home mortgage is held by the same parent company. We sat back down and again began the process of signing the paperwork since he had now agreed to $245 for 48 months. Our agent asks us for a voided check to set up AutoPay which she had never mentioned to this point. I asked about the payment due date and was told it was due on the 3rd of every month.

We inquired about a due date near the 28th and was told by the manager that the date was not flexible and MUST be 30 days from the date of the loan signing, he went on to say that he didn't have a due date around the 28th. The website clearly states that you can choose a "convenient" due date. That's when the manager again stated we were making him really nervous. At that point, we declined the loan and left the branch.

WE feel like the manager was trying to force us into a monthly payment we couldn't afford or weren't comfortable with.

The purpose of the loan was to consolidate a few bills and end up with a lower monthly payment.We were happy with the terms of the loan before we were offered the insurance and the terms were changed when we declined.

Review about: Personal Loan.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE
Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / $7500
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Onemain Financial?

Submit review

Comments

Huntersville, North Carolina, United States #1259946
Your post was dead-on. The Charlotte,NC branches are the worst. The employees at the Northlake branch seem inadequate when it comes to Customer Service!
Belle Vernon, Pennsylvania, United States #1242484
Hello,
I received a OneMain Offer in the mail and was considering a loan myself. I always research of course before even making a call about these offers. Your comment was the first that I read. I heard enough. I thank you and appreciate your post.
If not for people as kind as yourself for taking the time to post these comments then consumers like myself who are more nieve than you as you sound in your review would really get hurt. My father being elderly and having no knowledge or guidance had taken out several loans, beneficial (the worst) and his own bank and now 74 and still paying outrageous monthly payments. So I thank you sincerely,
Glasgow, Glasgow City, United Kingdom #1190304
i work under San Isidro Multi Co operation Loan Lending Company. It's a new company right here in Philippines and we have been able to broaden our scope over this few years. we have our head office at Philippines and branch office at USA,Australia and other reserve countries. For info about our company, you can write directly to this listed email. mrssandrathomson.es@hotmail.co.uk / official_isidrolenderparish.plc@gmx.us . Thanks for your time...
Regard
San Isidro multi co operation
Wilmington, Delaware, United States #1175794
I have a provider who is ready, willing and able of delivering banking instruments (BG/SBLC) for lease which can be used in all forms of projects. Our bank instrument can be used as collateral to seek for loans from different banks of choice and can be used to engage into ppp trading.
For contacting purpose:
Contact : Mr. Wong Man
Email: reliablemandate@gmail.com
Skype ID: reliablemandate
Thanks. I too will have second thoughts and not go with One Main
I have a loan w/them. It's awful interest compounded daily. I pay $258 mo., and $138 goes to interest ea mo. I'm taking a loan against my life insur @ 5% interest just to get rid of them!
We are direct provider for BG/SBLC specifically for lease, at leasing price of (3 % +0. 5% + X% ) of face value, Issuance by HSBC Bank London , Barclays Bank London , Deutsche Bank, & AAA Rated Banks
Our BG/SBLC Financing can help you get your project funded, financing by providing you with yearly renewable leased bank instruments. We work directly with issuing bank lease providers, this Instrument can be monetized on your behalf for 100% funding: For further details contact us
with the below information.
Contact : Andrey Dorofeev
Email; andreydro.finance@gmail.com
Skype ID: andreydro.finance Intermediaries/Consultants/Brokers are welcome to bring their clients and are 100% protected. In complete confidence, we will work together for the benefits of all parties involved. Thank you Andreydro Dorofeev BROKERS ARE WELCOME & 100% PROTECTED!!
I hate the day I got a loan with One Main they are beyond a pain in the back side. I had 3 years left on a loan with them was having a bit of a struggle and to lower the payments we extended the loan. After 6 months they said oh that was only for 6 months I asked who in their right mind would extend a loan from 3 years to 10 years for only a 6 month reprieve. My mistake but I promise I will never do business with these folks again.
directmandate
We can deliver Financial service/instruments(BG/SBLC/MTN/DLC/LC) at affordable price to our customers in other to derive maximum utility. We understand that finding the right company to provide financial instrument is not easy. We are certified financial company that delivers banking instrument for lease which we adhere to our terms and condition. Over 96% of our clients are satisfied with our work whether it is business or financial service.
Once transaction is in progress, we ensure we keep you posted on the progress of your paper. We also get you connected to the provider for personalized service. Instead of stressing yourself out looking for financial instrument or company why not let professional like us deliver financial instrument to you within the time frame required by you.
For further details contact us with the below information....
Contact : Mr. Petrovic Dorde
Email: directmandate@gmail.com
Skype ID: petrovic.dorde
1 frustrated  lady sc
to directmandate #1207467
Anonymous I also have had a bad deal with one main. I have asked them several times too do something because I only have one income in my home now and with only my income as soon as it hits the bank it's gone. I've told them I can't keep paying this bill that takes up nearly half my check and I live on a fixed income. I have begged them for a year too put me in something with a lower price that I can afford but they won't.